VTU results: Glitches in online, SMS access

VTU students across the state who tried to access their results online found it impossible.

Bangalore: The Visvesvaraya Te­ch­nological University rel­ea­sed engineering re­sults on Tuesday mo­rn­ing (a record, for the Un­ive­rsity, which normally doesn’t give out results until colleges reopen in Feb), but thousands of students across the state who tried to access their results online found it impossible.

All they were left with was a not­if­i­c­­ation saying the con­ne­­ction had timed out, in­dicating that the server was down.

The situation re­ma­in­ed unchanged even at 8.30 pm on Tuesday.

Re­s­ults could also be ob­ta­ined by sending an SMS to 5424204, although this system didn’t seem to be working either.

“After tr­ying to open the results we­bpage all day, with no luck, I sent an SMS,” said Rohan K, a first se­m­ester E&C student fr­om a prestigious engine­er­ing college in the city.

“Although the message was delivered, I didn’t ge­t any response.”

Elsa Mathew, also a first year Electronics student from BMSIT in Yelahanka, encountered the same problem.

“I tried at around 8.30 pm, but the site wouldn't open,” she said. “At least we can manage, because there is no stress of adm­ission deadlines, we don’t have to apply to colle­ges or anything.”

“The situation is quite stressful,” said Attreyee Ghosh, a first year Computer Science student. “Once the results are out, we want to know how we’ve fared, so it’s very frustrating when the site doesn’t open. They should have foreseen this and taken precautions.”

Dr Maheshappa, VC, VTU, says this is probably just a minor technical glitch. “The results were announced today, much earlier than in the previous years and the servers were probably jammed,” he said. “Students from across the state are trying to access their results, which has led to an overload. Things should be sorted out by tomorrow,” he added.

VTU is one of India's largest universities with 208 affiliated colleges, 67,100 undergraduate students and over 12,000 post graduate students.