Skill-oriented studies stressed

Venkaiah Naidu advocates change of syllabus in colleges in?India.

Nellore: BJP senior leader M. Venkaiah Naidu has advocated the need for a meaningful debate among parliamentarians and academicians to introduce syllabus that will provide various skills and ensure jobs for all those completing their graduation or diploma courses.

He lamented over the failure of the governments from time to time to pay attention to design education system that will guarantee livelihood for students. He made these observations during a colourful function organised to mark the 10th anniversary of Swarna Bharat Trust at Venkatachalam, 16 km from Nellore.

Expressing concern over mass migration of Indian students to various countries for higher education and jobs, he said that their watchword should be “Learn-Earn-Return”. He said that they should contribute their knowledge to the development of the society in the country.

Mr Naidu has dwelt at length on how the Swarna Bharat Trust was helping unemployed to learn various skills and bag good jobs. Speaking on the occasion, ITM Group of Institutions chairman and CEO, Dr P.V. Ramana has underlined the need to include vocational training as part of curriculum at all levels. He said that their institutions have been following the system and Gujarat government also all set to an open university to offer vocational courses from June this year.

Chief guest for the event, Andhra Bank chairman and managing director C.V.R. Rajendran promised support for skilled training programmes to SBT. He said that engineering colleges, which are not attracting students, may offer skilled training and added that their bank is ready to assist such ventures.

He lauded SBT for offering health and medical services to the poor in the region apart from various skills through their training centre. He said they are ready to offer loans with four percent interest rate for self-employment ventures of the student of SBT vocational centre.

Speaking on the occasion, Sri City chief executive officer Ravi Sannareddy assured jobs for all those coming out of Swarna Bharat Skilled Training Centre while referring to scores of industries coming up in Sri City.

He said that Sri City SEZ had attracted investments to the extent of '20,000 crore so far and the zone is brimming with industrial activity. He underlined the need to offer skilled training as per the requirements of industries coming up in the region.

Swarna Bharat Trust managing trustee Deepa Venkat and members of the trust took part in the programme.