Do not pressure kids: Gov to parents

Asserting that education is a process of ‘man making’ and producing good human beings.

Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor Dr K Rosaiah has appealed to parents not to pressure their children to slog at exam time for scoring marks as it could could backfire on their physical health and mental stamina.

“I appeal to the parents not to mount more and undue stress and pressure on their wards. Parents should understand the importance of creating lifelong relationship with their children based on mutual understanding”, he said while inaugurating DC-Didactics, a Deccan Chronicle initiative to help students of tenth class and plus-two in preparing for their board exams.

“It is not only the students but even parents who catch the exam fever. Anxiety and worry about their wards’ performance push parents to a lot of stress. Today’s youth very well know that the world is full of competition”, Governor Rosaiah said.

He told a large gathering of students from several city schools they should be ‘determined’ in their goals, to plan well and work towards its execution. At the same time, the students should remain relaxed while preparing for the board exams. “Let meditation and yoga be part of your daily routine”, he said.

Complimenting DC for its “commitment to build the nation’s youth into dynamic citizens and to equip the youth for tomorrow”, the Governor expressed confidence that DC-Didactics instituted by Deccan Chronicle, “one of the leading newspapers known for its lucid and fine presentation would equip the students to face the board exams with confidence and courage”.

Next: Foster skills of students too, says Balagurusamy

Foster skills of students too, says Balagurusamy

Chennai: Asserting that education is a process of ‘man making’ and producing good human beings, E. Balag­urusamy, former UPSC member, called upon the media and educational in­s­titutions to foster sk­ills among students in addition to encouraging them gain better grades in examinations.

The problem now is most of the educational institutions teach stude­nts on how to score more marks but not how to le­arn (to live). “Along with value and attitude you come up and do justice to yourself, your family and society,” the former vice chancellor of Anna Un­iv­ersity said.

Speaking at the inaugural of the DC-Didactics, he stressed the need to ad­dress the dual proble­ms of grooming students to secure jobs and earn a living and moulding th­em to live better.

“The DC-Didactics is a wonderful initiative. I th­ank Deccan Chronicle for organising such an imp­ortant meeting and th­ank our Governor (K. Ro­s­aiah) who takes interest in education,” Bal­a­gu­rusamy added.

R. Thandavan, vice-cha­ncellor, Univ­er­sity of Madras, said the mock qu­­e­stion papers issued by DC should be uplo­a­ded on its website to help more students. R. Bhag­w­an Si­n­gh, exe­cutive ed­itor, Dec­can Ch­r­onicle, Pon­nav­aiko, VC, SRM Univ­er­sity; M. V.M. Vel­m­u­­ru­gan, CEO, Vela­m­mal gr­oup of instituti­ons, R. Kishore Kumar, senior pri­ncipal, St. Jo­hn’s Inte­rnational Sch­o­ol and Abdul Ghani, pre­sident, Youth Exnora In­te­rn­ati­onal, also spoke.