Andhra Pradesh draws 4,698 foreign students

Despite the political turmoil in the state over the Telangana issue for the last four years.

Hyderabad: Despite the political turmoil in the state over the Telangana issue for the last four years, the state continues to attract foreign students in large numbers.

While 4,698 foreign students took admissions in AP — the second highest in India — this year, Karna-taka topped the country with over 10,000 students.

Interestingly, the Osmania University in Hyderabad, the hotbed of the Telangana agitation since December 2009, admitted nearly 1,500 students so far this year compared to 1,250 last year.
Most students who took admissions in AP were from Iraq, Sudan, Afghanistan and East African countries.

After Osmania University, the Andhra University, Vizag, and Kakatiya University, Warangal, rema-ined the preferred destinations for foreign students.

A joint report on the status of Higher Education in Ind-ia by the Confederation of Indian Economy and Union HRD ministry revealed that every year, an average of 27,530 foreign students take admissions in Indian universities.

Maharashtra stood at the third place with 4,369 admissions, followed by Tamil Nadu (2,383) and Delhi (1,529).

Maximum students who took admissions in Hyderabad have joined MSc courses (245), while 135 of them have joined MA courses.

In the undergraduate courses, B.Com topped the list with 200 foreign students, followed by BCA (146), BSc (112) and BBA (110).