Engineering colleges to hold Plus-2 model exam in Coimbatore

Engineering colleges in Coimbatore to hold ‘model exams’ for Plus-2 students.
Coimbatore: With thousands of engine­er­ing seats remaining un­filled in Tamil Nadu, some engineering colleges in Coimbatore have come up with a novel strategy to lure students for the next year. The colleges plan to hold ‘model exams’ for Plus-2 students in December and January, ostensibly to prepare them for the crucial public exam but actually to strike a ‘fruitful’ relationship. Not just that, scholarships are also up for grabs for the high scorers.
The CMS College at Chinnavedampatty has already drawn up the schedule for the model exams in January and sent letters to several schools in Coim­batore. “For the first time, we are conducting this exam in a big way,” principal of CMS College Prof. K T Varkey, told Deccan Chronicle. He has organised the exams to be held on weekends in January in Physics, Chemistry and Maths with questions covering the entire Plus-2 portions.
“Class XII teachers will correct the answer papers and return them with their remarks so that the students can discuss with their teachers ways of improving themselves further”, said the principal.
SNS College of Engineering too is holding a model exam in December. “These exams will help in two ways. The students can know their performance levels and secondly, it’s a good advertisement for the engineering college”, said a college official.
“This is only optional. We do not compel any students to go for these examinations”, said principal H Hajah Seriff of CMS matriculation and higher secondary school.
As many as 217 colleges affiliated to the Anna University dot the Coimbatore region.