Port Elizabeth: Rohit Sharma finally found his groove as Virat Kohli-led India clinched a historic ODI series win by winning the fifth ODI at St George’s Park in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.
With the win, the Indian cricket team also claimed number one spot in ICC ODI rankings.
While Rohit managed to break the vicious circle of poor form, he and Kohli have moved closer to equal a rather unpleasant record. If the pair is involved in another run-out mess, it will be on par with Faf du Plessis and AB de Villiers and Kumar Sangakkara and Tilakratne Dilshan, who have been involved in eight run outs. The South African and Sri Lankan were involved in most run-outs in ODIs in last ten years.
In their seven run-outs, Kohli has been out five times while Rohit is out twice. On Tuesday, the confusion happened in the 26th over. Rohit tapped the ball off Morne Morkel’s bowling and Kohli took off even as his partner looked reluctant to steal a single. JP Duminy charged in from point and his direct under-arm hit at the non-striker’s end, ended Kohli’s promising innings.
List of all 7 run-outs between Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli in ODIs:
1) West Indies vs India, Kingston, 2011: Virat Kohli (94 runs)
2) India vs Australia, Bengaluru, 2013: Virat Kohli (0 runs)
3) India vs Sri Lanka, Kolkata, 2014: Virat Kohli (66 runs)
4) Australia vs India, Brisbane, 2016: Virat Kohli (59 runs)
5) Pakistan vs India, Edgbaston, 2017: Rohit Sharma (91 runs)
6) India vs Australia, Bengaluru, 2017: Rohit Sharma (65 runs)
7) South Africa vs India, Port Elizabeth, 2018: Virat Kohli (36 runs)