New Delhi: Union Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal on Friday expressed grief over the death of people in Jharkhand coal mine incident and said that an ex gratia of rupees five lakh has been announced for the families of the victims.
"This is a very unfortunate incident and in this hour of grief, I extend my deep condolences to the families of deceased. Rescue team was there throughout and we have announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs. 5 lakhs each to the families of the deceased," Goyal told media in New Delhi.
He further said that all necessary help to the families of the deceased is being extended by the Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL).
Goyal, earlier in the day, took to Twitter, to express his grief over the incident, and said that he was monitoring the rescue operation with Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das.
In a tragic incident, a Lalmatia mine of the Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL) areahas collapsed here.
Taking stock of the situation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das and sought details of the tragedy.
Chief Minister Das has announced Rs. 2 lakh to the families of the deceased and Rs. 25,000 for the injured. He also said that stern action would be taken against those responsible for the mine collapse.
"Union Minister Piyush Goyal had talked to me over phone and gave an assurance that an enquiry has been initiated in the incident and stern action will be taken against the ones who are responsible for it, whether it be central government or state government officials," Das told ANI.
As of now, four bodies have been recovered by rescue teams from the Lalmatia mine of Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL) which collapsed this morning.
According to the Chairman and Managing Director of Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL) and Western Coalfields Limited (WCL) Rajiv Ranjan Mishra the rescue work is underway and the team is able to locate one more body under the debris.
Discussing about the reason behind this incident, Mishra said, "A higher committee has been formed and a Deputy General Manager will also enquire. The prima facie which has been found is the entire surface has collapsed. This is a unique phenomenon. But let us see what the reports says."
Misha further said that three excavators and seven dumpers were present there at the mining site.
Three more National Disaster Response Force ( NDRF) teams two from Patna, and one from Ranchi are enroute to the site.
According to the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), around 40-50 workers along with some machinery of a private company are suspected to be trapped under the debris.
"On duty CISF sentry is safe. Rescue operations are underway and electricity supply is also been disrupted" said the CISF in a statement.
Additional manpower comprising one government official, two inspectors, 21 CISF personnel from the Eastern Coal Field Limited, Sheetalpur headquarters have been rushed to the site.