New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who had been making claims about bringing underworld don Chhota Rajan to Mumbai, on Wednesday said a decision about his custody will be taken in consultation with the central government.
Talking on the sidelines of a World Economic Forum-organised meet, Fadnavis was asked whether his government will press for custody of Rajan after he is deported from Indonesian city of Bali.
"Right now the central government is deporting him and then we will decide. I think it is not the right time to reveal our strategy. The central and the state governments (will work) together," he said.
"I think it is a major case, quite vulnerable. So it is a case we should not speak (about) every time in public," the Chief Minister said.
Sources privy to the development in the case said the Centre has shown reluctance in handing over Rajan to Mumbai police soon fearing for his life.
The 55-year-old underworld don was arrested in the popular tourist town of Bali on his arrival from Australia on October 25 on the basis of a Red Corner Notice from Interpol and following a tip off by Australian authorities to the police in Indonesia.
Asked about reports that there was a trust deficit issue in handing over custody of Rajan to Mumbai police, the Chief Minister said, "There is no trust deficit".
Fadnavis had on Tuesday said that "Chhota Rajan will be brought to Mumbai" and all security arrangements were in place for him to be brought to the metropolis.
The Chief Minister had also tweeted that Mumbai Police Commissioner Ahmed Javed will brief the media soon on the issue.
Mumbai Police has nearly 70 cases registered against Rajan, including 20 of murder, four cases under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act, one under Prevention of Terrorism Act and over 20 cases under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act.
Delhi Police has six cases registered against Rajan, who was a close aide of fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim at one point but split before the 1993 Mumbai blasts were conspired.
Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world....