At least 60 terrorists killed in army raids in Egypt's Sinai
Cairo: As many as 60 terrorists were on Friday killed and 40 others injured in army raids in Egypt's two restive North Sinai cities, army said.
The raids in Rafah and Shiekh Zwayed were launched in cooperation with air forces, spokesperson Brigadier General Mohamed Samir said in a statement. Twenty-nine unlicensed vehicles and motorcycles were destroyed during the raids, the statement said, adding that 32 shelters used by terrorists were also destroyed.
Egypt's North Sinai has witnessed many violent attacks by militants since the January, 2011 revolution that toppled the ex-president Hosni Mubarak. The attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi in 2013 by military following massive protests against his rule.
Over 700 security personnel have been reported killed since then. The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.