London: Around four in 10 British adults have been left feeling powerless, angry or worried by Brexit in the last year, according to a poll out on Friday.
The Mental Health Foundation (MHF) charity commissioned the survey to look at the impact of Britain’s impending departure from the European Union on how people feel, their sleep and their relationships.
The poll found that Brexit had made 43 percent feel powerless, 39 percent feel angry and 38 percent feel worried. Some 26 per cent said Brexit had not caused them to feel any particular emotions in the last 12 months.
But 17 per cent said it had caused them “high levels of stress”, while 12 per cent reported that it had caused them sleeping problems. Some said Brexit had made them feel hopeful (nine per cent), happy (three per cent) or confident (two per cent).
In the 2016 referendum on Britain’s EU membership, 52 per cent voted in favour of leaving while 48 percent backed remaining in the bloc. MHF chief executive Mark Rowland told AFP that people who voted Remain were reporting three times the level of anxiety of Leave supporters....