World Europe 14 Jul 2016 Man banned from havi ...

Man banned from having sex without giving police notice threatens to go on strike

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Jul 14, 2016, 10:50 am IST
Updated Jul 14, 2016, 10:50 am IST
He has not yet been convicted for any sex crime, but police have sought a ‘sexual risk order’ for him.
The unidentified man has to inform the police whenever he decides to have a sexual relationship or a one-night stand with any woman. (Photo: YouTube Screen Grab)
 The unidentified man has to inform the police whenever he decides to have a sexual relationship or a one-night stand with any woman. (Photo: YouTube Screen Grab)

York: A man from North Yorkshire, UK, who has been banned from engaging in any sexual activity unless he gives a 24-hour notice to the police, is to appear before a court.

The man has not yet been convicted for any sex crime, but the police have sought a ‘sexual risk order’ for him. Sexual risk order (SRO) is often sought for a person who is thought to be unsafe for the public, say reports.

 

He will be appearing before York Magistrates' Court for a case management hearing where legal issues pertaining to the case will be heard. However, a full hearing will take place next moth.

The man had previously threatened to go on a hunger strike in protest against the order, which also limited his use of internet and communications, making him unable to work as well.

The unidentified man has to inform the police whenever he decides to have a sexual relationship or a one-night stand with any woman.

An individual can be issued a sexual risk order by a court, under which the person becomes liable to inform the police about any sexual activity that he or she wishes to engage in. A person who has been issued a sexual risk order may not necessarily be a sexual offender. It says, “the individual does not need to have committed a relevant (or any offence)" for the order to be imposed.

 

A sexual risk order can last for a minimum of two years, and on breaching, it can land a person into prison for a term of up to five years.

Sarah Green, the acting director at End Violence Against Women, said that such orders were essential to keep potential victims safe.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
-->