World Asia 07 Oct 2019 Korea to halt N-talk ...

Korea to halt N-talks till US hostilities end

AFP
Published Oct 7, 2019, 2:08 am IST
Updated Oct 7, 2019, 2:08 am IST
Rejects US claims about another meeting.
North Korean negotiator Kim Miyong Gil reads statement outside the North Korean Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden on Saturday.(Photo: AP)
 North Korean negotiator Kim Miyong Gil reads statement outside the North Korean Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden on Saturday.(Photo: AP)

Seoul: North Korea said on Sunday that it has “no intention” to continue nuclear talks unless the United States takes steps to end hostilities, a day after negotiations in Sweden broke down.

The discussions in Sweden followed months of stalemate following a February meeting between the North’s leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump, and came after Pyongyang’s defiant test of a sea-launched ballistic missile on Wednesday.

 

The North walked away from the Sweden talks saying it was disappointed at the lack of “new and creative” solutions offered by Washington, although the US insisted it was willing to meet again in two weeks.

But a spokesman at the North's foreign ministry said Washington's claims about another meeting was “ungrounded”. “We have no intention to hold such sickening negotiations as what happened this time before the US takes a substantial step to make complete and irreversible withdrawal of the hostile policy toward the DPRK,” he said using the acronyms of the North's official name.

In a statement carried by the North’s Korean Central News Agency, the spokesman warned that their “dealings” may immediately end if the US sticks to its old playbook. “The fate of the future DPRK-US dialogue depen-ds on the US attitude, and the end of this year is its deadline,” he added.

In Stockholm, the nuclear-armed North’s leading negotiator, Kim Myong Gil, blamed the US for not giving up their “old attitude” which led to talks ending “without any outcome”. But Washing-ton called the talks “good discussions”, saying the comments by Korea did not reflect the content or the spirit their eight-and-a-half-hour discussion.

The US accepted host Sweden’s invitation to resume talks in two weeks, State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said. She added in a statement that the US “previewed a number of new initiatives” that would allow progress on the statement reached in Singapore at the first Trump-Kim summit last year.    

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT