World America 13 Jul 2016 Video: Teacher asks ...

Video: Teacher asks student to throw lit candle during play, stage catches fire

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Jul 13, 2016, 1:49 pm IST
Updated Jul 13, 2016, 1:49 pm IST
The incident occurred when a student was asked to throw a lit candle into a cardboard prop behind which the two students were hiding.
The stage set caught fire during a school play in Mexico, injuring two students. (Photo: Screen grab)
 The stage set caught fire during a school play in Mexico, injuring two students. (Photo: Screen grab)

Puebla: A school teacher in Central Mexico was sacked after a stage set caught fire, injuring two students severely. In an attempt to portray the production as real as possible, the teacher took to measures which led to the untoward incident, according to a report in The Independent.

The two injured students – 16-year-old Veronica and 17-year-old Athrizi – were rushed to the hospital immediately. The incident occurred when a student was asked to throw a lit candle into a cardboard prop behind which the two students were hiding, thus setting it on fire.

 

In the video clip, one of the injured is seen fleeing the stage, whereas the other tries to douse the flames.

Athrizi is being treated in the hospital for second degree burn injuries, while Veronica was released few days after her admission.

Miffed by the irresponsible behaviour of the school faculty members, one of the students’ families demanded suspension of the teacher concerned. The school administration said, “The teacher responsible for the class has been sacked from the institution, after an investigation uncovered an omission on his part during the planning of the activity.”

 

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT