Xiaomi at the Mi Note 2 launch also showcased the MIX, a concept smartphone that Xiaomi claims to have been working on for a long time. Xiaomi claims they have managed to achieve 91.3 per cent screen to body ratio that has not been possible till now.
With a 6.4-inch screen, Mi MIX has done away with the physical earpiece speaker and proximity sensor. With the use of piezoelectric ceramic acoustic technology, in which a ceramic drive unit converts electrical signals into mechanical energy, Mi MIX is able to let users listen to calls even without an earpiece speaker. An ultrasonic proximity sensor is built into Mi MIX and sits behind the display, replacing the traditional front-facing infrared proximity sensor.
Other innovations that make the 91.3 per cent screen-to-body ratio possible include a front camera module that is 50 per cent smaller than typical front camera sensors, located at the bottom right corner of the phone. Mi MIX also features a display with rounded edges at the corners of the screen and a custom 17:9 aspect ratio that maximizes screen space for a better content viewing experience.
With a full ceramic body — including the back and sides, as well as the buttons — Mi MIX features a minimalist design that has been jointly developed with designer Philippe Starck. Mi Mix is equipped with a Snapdragon 821 processor (up to 2.35GHz). It also has a 4400mAh battery that supports Quick Charge 3.0.
Mi MIX comes in two configurations: a 4GB + 128GB standard version which retails for RMB 3499 and a limited edition RMB 3999 version — Mi MIX 18K — featuring 6GB of RAM, 256GB of UFS2.0 storage, as well as 18-karat gold rims around the rear camera and fingerprint sensor.
Key specs of Mi MIX:
• 6.4-inch display with edgeless design, ultra-high 91.3% screen-to-body ratio
• Full ceramic body: Back cover, frame, and buttons
• Custom 17:9 display, 16:9 viewing area even with soft keys
• Up to 6GB LPDDR4 RAM; up to 256GB UFS 2.0 storage
• 2.35GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor
• High-capacity 4400mAh battery, Quick Charge 3.0
• 16MP PDAF rear camera, 5MP front camera
• High-precision GPS with sensor-assisted positioning
• Full NFC functionality: Read, write, card emulation, P2P...