BookMyShow today announced that it has successfully migrated its existing mobile website to an all new Progressive Web App (PWA). The new and improved version not only replicates the BookMyShow app design, but it is also much lighter, faster and user-friendly. This has also made BookMyShow the first online entertainment ticketing brand in India to move to PWA.
With the new PWA, all BookMyShow users will be able to get the immersive app like experience on their mobile web browsers, including Chrome, Mozilla and Firefox. Even on slow networks, the BookMyShow pages will load more than 50 percent faster now, and users will also be benefitted from reduced data consumption and increased responsiveness. The new progressive web app has already increased conversion rates by more than 80 percent as compared to the older mobile website.
Anish Tripathi, VP- Product Design, BookMyShow said, “On BookMyShow, almost 80 percent transactions are through our mobile platforms - which includes both the app and mobile site. Recently after introducing our new app, we went back to the drawing board to develop an improved version of our mobile website. The goal was to provide a user experience that was fast, responsive, reliable and engaging – all at the same time. With our new Progressive Web App, we are broad-basing our platform to include those users who either don’t have the space to download a new app or are looking for options that use less data and doesn’t require constant updates. We have already seen an exponential increase in conversion rates and expect our new web app to significantly contribute to reaching new users.”
1. BookMyShow has moved to a new Language Stack to accommodate the massive number of web pages served on BookMyShow; the code for the new progressive web app has been completely rewritten using React.
2. With the new design in place, the progressive web app is clutter-free and has similar look and feel compared to that of the native app, ensuring that the users can stay within their comfort zones.
3. Data consumption by the new PWA is substantially lower due to effective optimisation; when a user requests for a particular page, only assets required for that page are loaded, thereby saving on data. Even on 2G networks, the initial load time is just 3.1 seconds and even for personalised movie suggestions, the new progressive app takes less than 2 seconds in subsequent loads.
4. To improve the overall performance and to increase efficiency and responsiveness, the new version consists of smaller progressive web apps that work together for better results.
5. Offline support has also been extended to movie listings and shows time pages....