Intel has announced new additions to the 8th Gen Intel Core processor family — the U-series (formerly code-named Whiskey Lake) and Y-series (formerly code-named Amber Lake) are optimised for connectivity in thin, light laptops and 2-in-1s for the first time, while also providing ultimate mobile performance and long battery life.
The 8th Gen Intel Core U-series processors bring integrated Gigabit Wi-Fi to thin and light mainstream laptops for the first time, delivering up to 12-times faster connectivity speeds. They also offer up to 2-times better performance, compared with a 5-year-old PC, and double-digit gains in office productivity for everyday web browsing and light content creation over the previous generation. This leap in connectivity and performance will help empower people to focus, create and connect at home, in the office and on-the-go. Consumers can now download their favourite shows and movies in under a minute, create, edit and share 4K/360 video content 6.5-times faster, and stream and play games, including “World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth” and “World of Tanks.”
The 8th Gen Intel Core Y-series processors also deliver fast connectivity options, including fast Wi-Fi and LTE capabilities with unprecedented performance, to the some of the thinnest and lightest laptops and 2-in-1s in the market with double-digit gains in performance compared with the previous generation, enabling fresh innovations in sleek and compact form factor designs with extended battery life.
Both the U-series and Y-series processors have new and improved platform capabilities for more intelligent interactions with PCs, such as support for multiple voice services on the U-series and refinements to improve natural input options like touch and stylus for the Y-series.
What They Feature:
8th Gen Intel Core U-Series Processor (i7-8565U, i5-8265U, i3-8145U) – The latest 8th Gen Intel Core i7, i5 and i3 (U-series) processors deliver the ultimate performance in a 15-watt envelope with up to four cores and eight threads for mainstream laptops and 2-in-1s. Other key features and capabilities include:
- For the first time on this class of processors, Intel is delivering fast connectivity with integrated Gigabit Wi-Fi with Intel Wireless-AC for faster sharing, streaming and downloading. Paired with Intel LTE modem options, consumers will have fast connectivity wherever they are.
- Working with the PC ecosystem, Intel is delivering incredible performance in power-efficient platforms. With the new U-series processors, laptops and 2-in-1s get the extra leap in performance while also lasting up to 16 hours on a single charge, with power-optimised systems targeted to achieve about 19 hours.
- Consumers can simplify their lives and get more done with Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Cortana to help control lighting and temperature in their homes, play music, create lists and shop with the sound of their voice, whether they are at home or on-the-go.
- Download in a snap and watch premium 4K UHD content from providers, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, iQiyi, Sony Pictures ULTRA and Vudu.
- Devices with the new U-series processor can also support Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos audio. Together, the fusion of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos transform PCs into entertainment powerhouses.
- Play popular games on the go, including “World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth” and “World of Tanks.”
8th Gen Intel Core Y-Series Processor (i7-8500, i5-8200Y, m3-8100Y) — The first 8th Gen Intel Core i7, i5 and m3 (Y-series) processors are balanced for mobility and deliver incredible performance that people expect from Intel processors in super thin and light devices with fast Wi-Fi and LTE connectivity. Other key features include:
- Stream, share or download with Intel Wireless-AC supporting Gigabit wireless speeds, and experience seamless and reliable connectivity with Modern standby and eSIM support with Intel’s Gigabit LTE modems.
- Improved touch and stylus interaction to power creativity and sketch, shade and paint with precision.
- Ultra-sleek, thin-and-light designs less than 7mm thick and lighter than 1 pound for use at home, in the office and on-the-go.
How You Get It:
Laptops and 2-in-1s powered by the new 8th Gen Intel Core U-series and Y-series processors will be available from PC manufacturers beginning this fall.