Paris: The ATP and WTA tennis seasons have been suspended until June 7 due to the coronavirus pandemic, the two tour organisers announced on Wednesday.
The ATP and WTA announce Wednesday that the entire clay-court circuit "will not be held as scheduled" -- a day after the start of the French Open, also played on that surface, was postponed from May to September.
"The professional tennis season is now suspended through 7 June 2020, including the ATP Challenger Tour and ITF World Tennis Tour. At this time, tournaments taking place from 8 June 2020 onwards are still planning to go ahead as per the published schedule," the ATP and WTA said in a joint statement.
The announcement temporarily shuts down the men's and women's clay court season a day after the French Open was pushed back to September.
The tours had said last week they would suspend play until late April or early May.
The tournaments affected by the tours' suspensions include combined men's and women's events in Madrid and Rome.
Also being scrapped are upcoming WTA tournaments in Strasbourg, France, and Rabat, Morocco, along with ATP events in Munich; Estoril, Portugal; Geneva; and Lyon, France.
Both tours also said that their rankings will be frozen "until further notice."
The International Tennis Federation also put a halt to its lower-tier events until June 7....