The Indian Premier League 2020

Sports Other News 12 Mar 2020 Mercedes driver Hami ...

Mercedes driver Hamilton 'surprised' Australia race is still on despite virus threat

AFP
Published Mar 12, 2020, 2:10 pm IST
Updated Mar 12, 2020, 2:10 pm IST
Four drivers attend the pre-race press conference but quite far from the media representatives
Formula One drivers (from left) Williams' Nicholas Latifi of Canada, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel of Germany, Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton of Britain and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo of Australia attend pre-race a press conference at the Australian Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne on Thursday. AP Photo
 Formula One drivers (from left) Williams' Nicholas Latifi of Canada, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel of Germany, Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton of Britain and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo of Australia attend pre-race a press conference at the Australian Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne on Thursday. AP Photo

Melbourne: World champion Lewis Hamilton Thursday said he was "very surprised" that the Australian Grand Prix was going ahead during a coronavirus pandemic as two more staff from Haas were isolated and teams limited contact with fans.

The season-opening race in Melbourne is set to proceed as planned this weekend despite mounting fears about the spread of the disease.

 

"I am really very, very surprised that we're here. I don't think it's great that we have races but it really is shocking that we're all sitting in this room," Hamilton said at an official pre-race press conference packed with media.

"It seems that the rest of the world is already reacting a little bit late, but you have seen this morning with (President) Trump shutting down the border to Europe to the States, the NBA suspended, yet Formula One continues to go on.

"It's a concern I think for the people here. It's quite a big circus that's come here, it's definitely concerning for me."

 

Maintaining distance

The Mercedes star, who is gunning to match Michael Schumacher's record seven world crowns this season, sat alongside Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo in the media session, but a large open space separated them from the press.

Four-time world champion Vettel said it was difficult to judge what to do as the virus continues its spread. "Obviously we have to trust the FIA (International Automobile Federation) to take precautions as much as they can, but I think the answer that nobody can give you at the moment is how much you can control what is going on," he said.

 

"As a matter of fact, we are here so you just try to take care as much as you can."

Cases in Australia

Five Formula One team members -- four from Haas and one from McLaren -- are now in isolation pending the outcome of tests after showing flu-like symptoms typical of the virus.

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner said they had not yet discussed what to do if a positive test was confirmed. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it," he said.

"We take it seriously, if someone has something then we ask them to tell us as soon as possible and not hide it, which would be the worst thing to do."

 

Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief Andrew Westacott said in a statement he was "monitoring the situation in conjunction with Formula 1 and the FIA (International Automobile Federation)".

Australia has reported 150 confirmed cases of coronavirus so far, including among fans who attended the women's T20 Cricket World Cup final and a Super Rugby match, both in Melbourne last week.

European countries that are home to many of the F1 teams and journalists at the Grand Prix have had far more cases.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT