New Delhi: It was so near and yet so far for the India U-17 side who went down fighting (2-1) to Colombia on Monday in their second game of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup.
Jeakson Singh created history as he scored the first goal for India in the FIFA U-17 World Cup, but the team conceded the second goal within seconds as their World Cup dreams came crashing down.
The hosts, who are making their debut appearance in a FIFA tournament, played with a lot of heart and were a little unlucky to lose the match 2-1 to the South American side. Indian colts had lost their opening match to USA 3-0.
India find themselves on the brink of elimination after losing two matches on the trot, but there is still a marginal hope of qualifying for the next round if other results go in their favour.
Scenarios in which India can go through to the next round:
1) The hosts need to win their final group match against Ghana, on Thursday, with a huge margin, hoping that USA secure a big win against Colombia on the same day.
2) After two rounds of matches, USA lead Group A with 6 points and a goal difference of +4 while Colombia and Ghana have three points. They are equal on goal difference (0) and Colombia sit at second place thanks to more number of goals scored. India are currently at the bottom of the group with no points and a -4 goal difference.
3) India need to score at least 4 goals against Ghana in their final game and if they manage to do that they will advance on the basis of number of goals scored. They also need USA to beat Colombia in their final encounter to give host the chance to sneak into the next round.
4) If India fail to beat Ghana by required margin they can still qualify for the next round as one of the lucky third placed teams.
5) It will be a tough ask for the Indian colts as they have just scored solitary goal and conceded 5 goals in the two matches so far. The goal of reaching the next stage looks a distant dream but Indian fans will be hoping for a miracle.