Sports Football 02 Apr 2020 De Bruyne vows to pl ...

De Bruyne vows to play two extra years to compensate for virus lockdown

AFP
Published Apr 2, 2020, 8:40 am IST
Updated Apr 2, 2020, 8:40 am IST
'I miss it (football). But we are not important, football is not important. People love football, but you need to stay safe'
Manchester City's Belgian midfielder Kevin De Bruyne. AFP Photo
 Manchester City's Belgian midfielder Kevin De Bruyne. AFP Photo

London: Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has vowed to play for an extra two years at the end of his career to make up for the time lost due to the coronavirus.

The Premier League is postponed until at least April 30 because of the pandemic and is likely to be delayed even longer when the English game's stakeholders meet on Friday.

 

De Bruyne has not played since March 1 because of the health crisis and the miserable experience has underlined to the Belgian star just how much he loves the game.

The 28-year-old's desire to prolong his career comes after he enjoyed a superb personal season with City after missing most of their treble-winning campaign last term due to injury.

"I told my wife I'm going to play a little longer," De Bruyne said in an Instagram Live video Q&A with Belgium team-mates Romelu Lukaku and Axel Witsel.

"After this lockdown, I cannot stay at home. I told her I'm going to take two years more.

 

"It's time to play football again. I miss it and it's difficult. But we are not important, football is not important. People love football, but you need to stay safe."

De Bruyne revealed his family, including his two children, had been ill during the virus lockdown, but he said they are better now. "I've been at home now for two weeks," he said.

"People ask why I'm not in Belgium. It's because I'm self-isolating in England. I live here so I'm here with my kids and wife."

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
-->