Sydney: Cricket Australia supreme James Sutherland confirmed on Wednesday that national team coach Darren Lehmann played no part in the recent ball-tampering scandal from the ongoing Test series against South Africa.
After conducting investigations into the matter, the national cricketing body slapped 12 months ban for captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner, while Cameron Bancroft was sanctioned for 9 months.
The investigators found vice-captain Warner responsible for masterminding the whole incident along with instructing and teaching batsman Bancroft how to enact. It was also learned that the yellow strip object used by Bancroft was sandpaper, different from his original statement where he revealed it was a piece of yellow tape.
Lehmann and 12th man Peter Handscomb were spotted having a conversation on the walkie-talkie before the umpires Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth intervened, sparking rumors the coach was also involved. However, Sutherland later revealed what was said between the two.
"Darren Lehmann's the coach. He was not in any way involved in the incident. (Lead investigator) Iain Roy has satisfied himself on that. And he (Lehmann) continues as coach under his contract,” the CA chief said.
"It's been verified by others that on the walkie-talkie ... he radioed down and said 'what the f*** is going on! Find out what the f*** is going on.’
"Trough Iain's investigations, (that was) found to be the fact. I want to make that point very clearly that Darren made those comments and Iain was certainly satisfied that Darren wasn't involved and didn't know anything of the plan."
Previously in 2017, Lehmann confirmed that he would resign as coach following the expiration of his deal after the 2019 Ashes series....