Mumbai: ‘Steve Smith’, this name boomed throughout the world during the recently concluded Ashes 2019. The performances he put together for Australia were breathtaking. Despite having missed three innings from the series and making a comeback to Test cricket after 16 months, he managed to come up with one of the most amazing cricketing performances in recent years.
— ICC (@ICC) September 15, 2019
Despite facing boos and taunts from several places he managed to keep his mind steady and calm and proceeded to earn victories for his team. Before his dismissal took place in the second innings of the last Test, Smith’s lowest score in the series was a mind-boggling 80 runs. In this series, his scores read 144, 142, 92, 211, 82, 80 and 23. So good was his performance, that, the only time he couldn’t score at least a half-century was in his last innings.
BREAKING: Steve Smith is mortal.
He was mercilessly booed when he came to England this summer.
He departs to a standing ovation.
What a player & what an extraordinary rehabilitation..
The bat, it transpires, is mightier than the sandpaper. https://t.co/urIodEUSIB— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) September 15, 2019
Here is the list of all the records that Steve Smith has broken or equalled in the 2019 Ashes.
1. 774 are the highest runs scored by a batsman in a Test series since 1994 since Brian Lara had amassed 778 runs in a series 25 years ago. The previous record for the most runs by a batsman in a Test series in this century had also belonged to Smith – his 769-run tally in the 2014/15 series vs India.
2. Steve Smith scored 10 consecutive 50+ scores against England in the course of this year’s Ashes series. This is something that no batsman has done before against any opposition. Coming close to his record is Inzamam ul Haq, who had nine consecutive 50+ scores against England.
3. His 774 runs in this series is the fifth-highest run tally for a batsman in an Ashes series and the highest run tally since 1989. Other who stand ahead of him are Don Bradman (974 runs), Wally Hammond (905 runs), Mark Taylor (839 runs) and Don Bradman once again (810 runs).
4. Smith also joins an elite list of batsmen like Don Bradman, Sunil Gavaskar, Brian Lara, Everton Weekes and Gary Sobers, who have registered more than 700 runs in a Test series more than once.
5. With this score, Smith has equalled Sunil Gavaskar’s 49-year-old record of scoring 774 runs in a single series. Just like Smith, Gavaskar had scored 774 runs in 1970-71 Test series against the unstoppable West Indian team of that time.
Sunil M Gavaskar : 774 runs in 5 Test series vs WI, 1971— North Stand Gang - Wankhede (@NorthStandGang) September 15, 2019
Steven PD Smith: 774 runs in 5 Test series vs Eng, 2019
Both missed 1 Test each due to injury.#Ashes19 @stevesmith49 https://t.co/RtOr4LEAhP pic.twitter.com/6R0hsnfm5n