Birmingham: The International Cricket Council (ICC), on Sunday condemned the London terror attacks and said that the ICC and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will continue to provide safety during the ongoing ICC Champions Trophy and the upcoming ICC Women's World Cup.
A terror attack took place in London earlier today where 7 people were killed and 48 people injured. This has taken place following the Manchester attacks last month.
Following this, security was beefed up for the ICC Champions Trophy match between India and Pakistan in Birmingham.
“Our thoughts are with everyone affected by what has happened in London overnight. The ICC and ECB continue to place safety and security at the ICC Champions Trophy and ICC Women’s World Cup this summer as the highest priority,” said an ICC press release.
“Following last night’s incident all team hotels went into lockdown and teams, match officials and staff were all quickly accounted for. The enhanced security around venues implemented following the Manchester attack remains in place, this includes significantly enhanced police and security presence for today’s match,” added the cricket’s governing body.
The release also said “We operate on advice from our Tournament Security Directorate - in conjunction with the ECB and relevant police and security authorities - to ensure that we can deliver a safe and secure event. We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels.”
“The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe. We do not disclose our security details as a matter of policy,” concluded ICC.