Sports Cricket 01 May 2019 Sri Lankans yet to g ...

Sri Lankans yet to get over this horror: Sidath Wettimiuny

DECCAN CHRONICLE. | BIPIN DANI
Published May 1, 2019, 1:41 pm IST
Updated May 1, 2019, 1:41 pm IST
In the 1985th edition of the Wisden, Wettimiuny was named one of five cricketers of the year.
"It was very very sad thing to have happened. It was an absolute shocker and we are yet to get over it,' said Wettimiuny. (Photo: ICC/twitter)
 "It was very very sad thing to have happened. It was an absolute shocker and we are yet to get over it,' said Wettimiuny. (Photo: ICC/twitter)

Mumbai: Sri Lanka's former opening batsman Sidath Wettimuny was in India when Colombo saw the Easter Sunday terror attacks earlier this month.

"I had just reached Mumbai when this had happened in my country", speaking exclusively over telephone from Colombo, he said.

 

"It was very very sad thing to have happened. It was an absolute shocker and we are yet to get over it".

"Me and my wife have been to India several times but this time it was a special visit organized by my wife, Sharmini, who is a chairperson of the Symphony Orchestra of Sri Lanka (SOSL)".

"My wife was only coordinating the Sri Lankan musicians. We brought 15 male and female musicians to India. The main organizer was Nirupama Rao, who was former foreign secretary of Sri Lanka".   

"I did attend the South Asian Symphony Foundation concert", Wettimuny, also a singer added.

Wettimuny, who served no less than 8 times at Sri Lanka Cricket board interim committees did not meet any BCCI officials.

However, he did visit the Cricket Club of India (CCI) and took a glance at the few editions of the Wisden. He had a reason to remember his earlier playing days recorded in the Wisden.

In the 1985th edition of the Wisden he was named one of five cricketers of the year.

His innings of 190 runs at Lord's against England in the previous year was best described in the Bible of cricket.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT