Sports Badminton 19 Nov 2016 PV Sindhu makes bril ...

PV Sindhu makes brilliant comeback to enter China Open final

Published Nov 19, 2016, 5:01 pm IST
Updated Nov 20, 2016, 1:53 pm IST
The 21-year-old shuttler carried her good form from the Rio Olympics forward to save 3 match points against Sung Ji Hyun.
This is sindhu's first major final after she won the silver medal at the Rio Olympics. (Photo: AFP)
 This is sindhu's first major final after she won the silver medal at the Rio Olympics. (Photo: AFP)

Fuzhou: PV Sindhu has made it to her first major final after the 2016 Rio Olympics, after making a brilliant comeback to defeat South Korean opponent Sung Ji Hyun 11-21, 23-21, 21-19 in Fuzhou on Saturday.

Hyun came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders early on, surging into a massive 16-7 lead in the first game, as a befuddled Sindhu could only look on in dismay. The Korean’s lead was too big for the Indian to pull back, as Hyun clinched the first game 21-11.


The 25-year-old looked to continue her domination in the second game as well, surging into an 11-7 lead.

However, a break at this point helped the Indian a lot, as she bounced back with three consecutive points, to go within one point of Hyun.

It was a sea-saw battle from then on, as both the shuttlers kept levelling the scores at 11-11, 13-13, and 15-15.

The game seemed to have swung decisively in Hyun’s favour after she surged into a 20-17 lead. However, the Rio Olympics silver medallist showed great character to make a comeback to save three match points.


Sindhu started off her comeback with a long rally, which she rounded off with a clever drop shot.

After levelling the scores at both 20-20 and 21-21, Sindhu finally surged into a significant lead for the first time in the match, as she clinched the second game 23-21.

This was the big turning point of the match. It was imperative for Hyun to assert her authority in the second game and finish the match off.

The South Korean seemed to be tiring from the start of the third game, despite the fact that she surged into a 7-3 lead. A number of unforced errors allowed Sindhu back into the match yet again, as she drew level at 9-9.


Both the shuttlers went neck-and-neck against each other, but the 21-year-old Indian managed to hold her nerve in the end, to secure a match point at 20-19. She finished the game off with a dramatic smash that landed right on the line. Sindhu’s progression to the final was finally confirmed by hawk-eye.