Top

Keralam Govt Not Informed About Proposed Kochi Metro Name Change, Says CM Satheesan

Speaking to reporters at his constituency North Paravur, Satheesan said Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) had issued a release on Thursday regarding the proposal without consulting the state government

Kochi: Keralam Chief Minister V D Satheesan on Friday said that the state government has neither approved nor been informed about the proposed name change of Kochi Metro Rail Limited to Kerala Metro Rail Limited. Speaking to reporters at his constituency North Paravur, Satheesan said Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) had issued a release on Thursday regarding the proposal without consulting the state government.

"We know nothing about it. Those are things said unilaterally without consulting the government. No such discussion has taken place with the government so far. It is not under the government's consideration either," he said.

Satheesan said he learned about the proposal only through newspaper reports on Friday morning.

"No such proposal is under the government's consideration. That topic doesn't exist. I am learning about it this morning after seeing the newspaper report. That is not how it should be known," he said.

His remarks came a day after KMRL issued a release proposing the name change, following which Ernakulam MP Hibi Eden wrote to the chief minister opposing the move.

"If they think about it on their own without the government knowing, what can we do? There is no need for us to react to that," Satheesan said.

On Onam celebration, the chief minister said natural disasters had caused grief and sadness, but people were trying to come together to celebrate the festival by setting aside their sorrows.

"The government is also alongside them with great care. Even while going through such a massive financial crisis, the government is making maximum efforts to stand with the people without letting Onam lose its spirit," he said.

Satheesan said welfare pensions would be distributed earlier considering Onam.

Keralam witnessed multiple landslides and floods following monsoon rain early this month.

Asked about the Sports Department's report on alleged irregularities in the previous government's move to host a football match featuring Argentina and Lionel Messi, he said the matter is under his consideration and a decision would be taken soon.

On the Enforcement Directorate's investigation against former Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan's daughter Veena T in connection with alleged payments received from CMRL without her company providing services in return, Satheesan said the concerned persons should respond.

"It would be improper for me, as the chief minister, to step in during an ongoing investigation and make a comment about it. Besides, people are watching all of this. People recognise the difference between what they say and what they do. Let them know that," he said.

He added that it would be improper for him to comment while an investigation by a central agency was underway.

( Source : PTI )
Next Story