Top

KPSC Scam: Karnataka IAS Officer Gyanendra Kumar Goes Missing

Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar has reportedly gone "missing" and is unreachable by his family and others, official sources said.

Bengaluru: Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar has reportedly gone "missing" and is unreachable by his family and others, official sources said on Saturday. Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge confirmed the development on Saturday, saying the government had received information about the matter but that no formal complaint had been lodged by his family or anyone else.

He said, according to the information received, the official was last traced to Kempegowda International Airport and that the matter was being looked into. Gangwar is currently serving as the Director, MSME, Department of Industries and Commerce.
He has been incommunicado since August 20 and had reportedly booked a flight ticket to Delhi, sources said. "The information came a couple of days ago. No formal complaint has been lodged by his family or anyone else. From this morning, there are also reports on this in the media," Priyank said in response to a question about reports of the IAS officer going missing.
Speaking to reporters here, he said, "All modes of communication with him have been disconnected, and he is not reachable. As of now, we have information that he was last traced to Kempegowda International Airport. We have received some information from the airport and are looking into it. We are still investigating and will decide on the further course of action."
A 2016-batch IAS officer, Gangwar had earlier served as the controller of examinations at the Karnataka Public Service Commission. He was replaced in the post in March this year.
Though reports are linking his disappearance to developments during his tenure at the KPSC, nothing can be confirmed at this stage, official sources said.
Responding to another question, the minister said the state Cabinet on Friday had decided to recommend to Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot that KPSC chairperson Shivashankarappa S Sahukar be suspended and an inquiry initiated against him.
Sahukar is facing several allegations of corruption. He is also facing charges of nepotism after his daughter was selected for a government job based on a false income certificate.
"The governor had suspended him (Sahukar), against which he approached the High Court, and the court asked the Governor to decide as per the aid and advice of the government. The Cabinet discussed the matter yesterday," Priyank said.
"The entire episode surrounding recruitment at the KPSC and the large-scale corruption associated with it is being discussed among the public, and the future of youngsters has indeed been put at stake. People are demanding answers on what BJP's share in it is and what role the KPSC Chairman played in it," he added.
He further said, "Understanding the sentiments of the people, we have decided to go by the governor's earlier decision to suspend him (Sahukar), and we have given the Governor the same aid and advice. We have discussed the inquiry into all this."
The governor had suspended Sahukar on July 13 for "not disclosing important information" and "misbehaviour". However, on August 18, the High Court ordered his reinstatement, noting that the Governor's decision had not been taken with the aid and advice of the Cabinet.
The Enforcement Directorate on Tuesday raided the premises of the KPSC, Sahukar, member Shanta Hosmani and some others as part of a money laundering investigation into an alleged scam in the recruitment examination for veterinary officers.
( Source : PTI )
Next Story