Peshawar: Following are the top developments in the terrorist attack on Wednesday on the Bacha Khan University located in Charsadda in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provice of Pakistan.
Charsadda is a district in Pakistan's northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and has been a scene of several militant attacks during the past decade.
1. 3000 students enrolled in the university
2. Five injured in the attack so far, have been rushed to hospital
3. According to Geo TV, one chemistry professor killed after being shot in head
4. Evacuation of campus currently on
5. Terrorists entered form the back-gate as the security at the front-gate was high
6. Two guards were injured at the gate
7. Extensive firing continues in the area and heavy contingents of elite force have been deployed, including aerial support given by Army choppers
8. Pashtun independence activist Bacha Khan Baba died on January 20, 1988. It is his death anniversary today
9. Helicopters called in to assist the operation
10. Panic stricken parents have gathered outside the University
11. Five persons, who suffered minor injuries, have been shifted to District Headquarters Hospital, Charsadda, for treatment
12. Army contingents have also arrived at the scene and firing is continuing
13. According to the Dawn, a rescued student claims that 60 to 70 students had been shot in the head by the attackers. The student added that the attack is reminiscent of the Army Public School Peshawar attack in December 16, 2014.
14. Nine injured at the hospital
15. Operation on inside and outside campus
16. No proper roads around university, only farms
17. At the time of attack, an event regarding death anniversary of Pashtun politician Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, known as Bacha Khan, was being attended by a large number of students inside the university
18. Media persons are not being allowed inside
19. Armed assailants scaled the university walls and opened fire
20. Multiple blasts were heard along with heavy gunfire
21. Pakistani journalist Talat Hussain tweets: Eyewitnesses say 'dozens killed'. Terrorists had a free hand for 50 mnts. Now terrorists are in one block
22. Talat Hussain tweets: Very serious development. Spoke to a stranded teacher who said intense firing and total chaos at campus
23. DIG Saeed Wazir says two attackers have been killed tweeted Dawn
24. Rescue officials say some 50 students have been rescued from the premises tweeted Dawn
25. An Edhi volunteer says he has seen the bodies of at least 15 persons, tweeted Dawn
26. Two loud blasts heard from inside the university at 1141 hours IST tweeted Dawn
27. Pakistan Army helicopters are monitoring the situation from the air to provide better spatial awareness to the forces conducting the operation on ground
28. University professor, Hamid Hussain, was killed in the attack
29. According to Express Tribune: The vice chancellor has said more than 3,000 students are present at the premises, while several girls are inside hostels. Members of staff also remain within the building. More than 50 students have been evacuated.
11: 41 am (IST): Two loud blasts heard from inside the university
11: 48 am (IST): A large number worried parents have thronged the hospital looking for their children
11: 50 am (IST): Geo News reports Shakeel Farman Ali reported that 90 percent of the buildings have been cleared in the campus
11: 53 am (IST): Panic sets in inside the campus. Eye-witnesses say not enough ambulances to bring out severely injured and dead
11: 55 am (IST): Rescue officials say some 50 students have been rescued from the premises
11: 57 am (IST): Dawn tweets: 8-10 terrorists still inside the school
12: 02 pm (IST): Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif: Sacrifices made by Pakistan will not go in vain. Those who kill innocent students and civilians have no religion.
12: 03 pm (IST): 11 blasts till now
12: 05 pm (IST): According to Express Tribune: Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has claimed responsibility for the attack on Bacha Khan University. TTP commander, Omar Mansoor, said that the attack was carried out by four attackers.
12: 08 pm (IST): According to Express Tribune: Seven people have been killed in the attack so far, while casualties are feared to rise
12: 09 pm (IST): Six dead bodies recovered
12: 12 pm (IST): Asim Bajwa tweets: Two more terrorists who were firing from inside the Block cordoned by Army troops, shot & killed. Op continues
12: 14 pm (IST): Emergency declared in hospitals
12: 20 pm (IST): Asim Bajwa tweets: Snipers killed 2 more terrorists on roof top,total Terrorist killed so far 4.All buildings&roof top taken over by Army.op continues-3
12: 21 pm (IST): Total four terrorists killed so far
12: 28 pm (IST): Provincial minister Shaukat Yousufzai has said that over 20 people have been killed
12: 35 pm (IST): Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Imran Khan to leave for Charsadda shortly...