Top

Soren Cancels JSSC-CGL Exam After 24-Day Student Stir

The decision was taken at a marathon Cabinet meeting chaired by Soren.

New Delhi: Amid the ongoing protest by job aspirants over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations, Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TDPL since 2014. The decision was taken at a marathon Cabinet meeting chaired by Soren.

“The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TDPL (TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd) and the results published by it,” Soren said after the Cabinet meeting.

He also announced the formation of an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal.

Soren said the government was concerned about the students’ agitation and had already enacted the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act to deal with such issues.

“Several surprising factors emerged during the probe into examination irregularities by the CID and the Special Investigation Team. These cannot be disclosed at this juncture,” he said.

Soren alleged that several companies operating in Jharkhand appeared to be involved in a major examination racket.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has been spearheading the agitation, however, said the protest would continue until its demand for a CBI probe was accepted.

Candidates who had cleared the JSSC-CGL and secured government jobs, meanwhile, protested outside the Jharkhand Secretariat, claiming that around 2,000 people could lose their jobs if the examination was scrapped.

Activist Devendra Mahto, who has been on hunger strike for 16 days over the alleged irregularities and has emerged as the face of the agitation, said he would soon end his fast. He thanked students, parents, the media, police, the state government and Soren for supporting the agitation.

“We are grateful that the students’ concerns were taken seriously and our demands were fulfilled. Most importantly, the investigation is being conducted meticulously, those involved in corruption are being apprehended, and efforts are underway to reach the masterminds behind these gangs,” Mahto said.

Just hours earlier, Mahto had said his hunger strike would continue in support of justice and the rights of JPSC-JSSC aspirants.

“My efforts are not limited to the present agitation. I want concrete reforms in the education system so that future generations do not have to struggle in this manner for their rights and access to better education,” he had said.

Job aspirants have been protesting against alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations and demanding a CBI probe and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination. The agitation entered its 24th day on Monday.

Before Soren’s announcement, tensions rose after government representatives failed to hold a scheduled 2 pm meeting with the protesters to discuss their demands. The agitators threatened to go ahead with their planned gherao of Soren’s residence in Ranchi on Thursday.

“On August 20, Ranchi will make history. The siege of the Chief Minister’s residence will be historic,” the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch posted on X. “Fulfil our demands and we will go home and study,” it said.

Ahead of the scheduled meeting, the Chief Minister held a Cabinet meeting that continued until late at night. Representatives of the Manch, meanwhile, waited for the government panel for the fourth round of talks.

Earlier in the day, rural development minister Dipika Pandey Singh had indicated that a breakthrough was possible.

“The 14th JPSC examination will be cancelled. We will write to the ED to investigate the alleged financial misappropriation. The CID probe will be court-monitored. The government is committed to bringing in reforms to safeguard the future of students,” she said.

The state CID also began conducting raids at the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission office in connection with its probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. The CID has so far arrested 20 people in connection with the alleged examination irregularities, including former JPSC chairman L. Khiangte.

The students’ protest also received support from Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, who urged Soren to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and take appropriate steps to resolve the issue. He said the protest had remained peaceful and that the students’ demands were legitimate.

The Congress is part of the ruling JMM-led alliance in Jharkhand.

In his letter to Soren, Gandhi said the youth of India were its future and “we owe them our solidarity and support at this moment of crisis”.

“The Congress party believes that the right to peaceful protest, as enshrined in the Constitution of India, is one of the central pillars of our democracy. We have, therefore, offered our full support to students protesting paper leaks and irregularities in the education system over the last few months,” Gandhi said.

He also alleged that the country’s education system had been “captured by the RSS and BJP” and turned into “a tool for the exploitation and oppression of students”.

Gandhi said he appreciated that the Jharkhand government had begun a dialogue with the protesters through a committee and that there appeared to be agreement on several of their demands.

“However, the protests continue, and some students remain on an indefinite hunger strike. I am writing to suggest that you personally meet with representatives of the protesting students. This will help reinforce the government’s commitment to resolve their remaining concerns,” he said.

On Sunday, demonstrators had burnt effigies of Soren, Gandhi and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav, accusing the JMM-Congress alliance of failing to take concrete action on their demands. The state government later invited the protesters for a fresh round of talks on Monday.

Next Story