New Delhi: Hailing the victory of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said the country has new dreams and is not ready to compromise anymore.
“Gujarat election results are historic. In this day and age, for a party to keep winning for so long is appreciable,” said Modi while addressing media at the BJP headquarters in Delhi.
Modi was received by BJP President Amit Shah at BJP headquarters. Shah and other leaders felicitated Modi as party celebrated the victories in the two states.
In Gujarat, BJP won 99 out of 182 seats while the Congress, which gave a tough fight to the saffron party, secured 77 seats.
In Himachal Pradesh, which has alternated between the BJP and the Congress for decades, the BJP cruised to a two-third majority win with 44 seats in the 68-constituency Assembly. The Congress secured just 21 seats.
Below are the highlights:
- Modi extends his gratitude to the voters of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh for voting the BJP to power.
- Gujarat has proved itself as an exception by voting development to power for last three decades: Modi
- The Prime Minister says BJP’s successive electoral victories show the country is poised to be transformed with reform and performance
- This country is now aspirational and has new dreams. Public is not ready to compromise anymore: Modi
- During UP elections it was said BJP would lose due to GST effect in urban areas, same was said in Gujarat elections and local body polls in Maharashtra: Modi
- Slamming the Opposition, Modi says the result in Himachal Pradesh shows that if you fail to work towards the development of a state, and are embroiled in all wrong acts, then after five years, people will not accept you
- Modi calls Gujarat election results historic and says, ‘In this day and age, for a party to keep winning for so long is appreciable’
- In Gujarat, BJP won all the seats it contested in 1989 Lok Sabha polls. We won most of the seats we contested in 1990. We won In 1995, in 1998, in 2002, in 2007 and in 2012: PM
- Attacking the Congress, Modi said, ‘So many conspiracies were hatched in Gujarat by Congress, misinformation was being spread. People cannot bear if anyone makes fun of 'vikas'’
- After 2014, there is hunger for development. Even if you do not like BJP, do not try to derail the progress being made towards development: Modi to Opposition
- 30 years back, poison of caste was spread so badly in Gujarat that it took workers like me 30 years to get rid of it: PM
- In last few months there were attempts to sow seeds of casteism in Gujarat, Modi says. He congratulates the people of the state for rejecting it, adding that they must remain alert
- Gujarat’s victory is doubly sweet for me. As its former mukhiya, I am proud to say that the state’s present leaders continue to win: Modi
Concluding his address, Modi hailed development and shouted the slogan, "only 'vikas' will win"....