Varanasi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday addressed a poll rally in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, and promised to “change the face” of his Lok Sabha constituency.
Addressing a rally at the city town hall, Modi hit out at the Samajwadi Party government in the state for “lying about 24X7 power supply” and promised to provide 24 hours electricity to the city.
“They spread lies about 24×7 power supply. But during the temple visit today, there was power outage. I will provide 24 hours electricity and for this, I don’t need to swear on Mother Ganga,” Modi said.
Highlights of his speech:
- LED bulbs that used to cost about Rs 300-400, now costs between Rs 50 and Rs 60, PM said.
- Kashi is not just a city, it is a symbol of humanity. Our effort is to build an 'Uttam Kashi': PM
- Have made Kashi my 'Karya Kshetra' so that we can regain the pride of the region: PM
- My life’s purpose will be fulfilled if I work for you: PM
- I wanted to work in Kashi not for politics, but to bring back its lost heritage: PM
Modi had earlier taken out a roadshow from from the gate of Banaras Hindu University to Kaal Bhairav temple in Varanasi.
He later addressed a rally in Jaunpur and took a dig at Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, saying "A daughter is seeking justice and the chief minister is shielding the gunehgaar (guilty)...What bigger blot can there be than this that in Uttar Pradesh, when a buffalo goes missing, the government runs to find it."
"But, a girl is crying for justice and the police and chief minister are sleeping...Such a government needs to be punished," he added.
SP leader Gayatri Prajapati is an accused in a rape case and a non bailable warrant has been issued against him....