Chennai: Contending that action on negligent officials over the death of two girl kids due to electrocution at Kodungaiyur, a residential neighbourhood in northern Chennai, may not be a lasting solution, BJP State president Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan has demanded the TN government to ensure a lasting solution that guarantees safety of people’s lives.
Condemning Tangedco for not exercising caution, at least during monsoon, Dr Tamilisai said the electrocution of the two girls, both aged eight years, has shocked the entire state. “No amount can compensate the loss of the two little lives…providing solatium or punishing the officials is not a solution….such tragedies should not happen in future,” she said on Thursday and asked the government to immediately replace faulty EB cables and boxes. The need of the hour, she said, is to ensure a mishap-free system.
Earlier in the day, Dr Tamilisai visited Kodungaiyur and consoled the grief-stricken relatives of Bhavana and Yuvashri, daughters of Parthiban and Murthy. The families reside in F Block, R.R. Nagar in Kodungaiyur. The two girls who studied in a government school close by had stepped on the power cable dangling from an open junction box that was hidden under the stagnant water.
BJP to issue accident insurance to one lakh auto drivers:
Meanwhile, as part of its social commitment, the State unit of the BJP has announced to provide the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana — government-backed accident insurance scheme that was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, to one lakh auto drivers on Friday.
Dr Tamilisai who would preside over the function at Kamalalayam – party’s state headquarters, will give away the insurance policies to the beneficiaries. “The insurance comes with two lakh coverage and it will be given away to one lakh auto drivers on behalf of BJP on Friday for free,” she announced.
File report on aid to victims’ kin: Madras HC
Taking note of the death of two children due to electrocution when they stepped into stagnated rain water in Kodanguiyur on November 1, Madras high court has initiated suo motu proceedings and directed the state government to file a report with details of compensation provided to the families of the deceased.
When the First Bench comprising Chief Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice M. Sundar commenced their work on Thursday, advocate R.Y. George Williams made a mention and brought to the notice of the court the death of children.
Stating that the death happened due to sheer negligence on the part of the authorities, who failed to rectify the faulty wires even after repeated complaints from the residents of the locality, Williams prayed the court to initiate suo motu proceedings to prevent any such incidents and to ensure adequate compensation to the families of the deceased.
Government pleader submitted that the government has already initiated action against officials responsible and eight employees of TNEB in charge of the area have been suspended. When the Bench asked about the compensation provided to the families of the deceased, the GP submitted that he would provide the information on November 3.
Recording the submissions, the bench said it would take up for hearing the batch of PILs relating to December 2015 flood by next week and gave liberty to the advocate to implead himself in the case....