HYDERABAD: Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWS&SB) has been treating only 49 per cent of sewage generated within the limits of Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC). It is letting the remaining 51 per cent of sewage, including faecal matter, into Musi River.
This led to the board getting an earful from National Green Tribunal (NGT), following which it has now engaged Mumbai-based Shah Technical Consultants for preparing a comprehensive sewerage master plan (CSMP). As per the consultant, the total sewage generated up to Outer Ring Road (ORR) for 2018 is 1,782 million litres a day (MLD).
The projected sewage in 2036 will be 2,815 MLD. The present installed sewage treatment capacity is mere 772 MLD. As per CSMP, 62 sewerage treatment plants (STPs) of 2,057 MLD capacity are proposed to be established for meeting requirements up to 2036. 31 of the 62 STPs will be established on priority basis in three packages under a hybrid annuity model (HAM).
Incidentally, sewage generation in 2021 is estimated to be 1,960 MLD. The existing STPs can treat only 772.3 MLD. The remaining 1,187.7 MLD of sewage flows through 185 drains and joins water bodies. These, in turn, join River Musi and Nakkavagu. HMWS&SB has issued a work order to NEERI, Hyderabad, for preparation of a detailed project report (DPR) for remediation of drains leading to River Musi.
The Sewerage Board has submitted a proposal of Rs 528.30 crore to the government to treat sewage at the rate of Rs 45 lakh per MLD. Its approval is, however, awaited. As many as 27 drains have been identified for remediation. NEERI has submitted DPR for the Kokapet drain. Phyto remediation work has already started for it. Preparation of DPRs for the balance four drains is in progress by the consultant. Rain guards and wetland construction along Kukatpally nala before it joins Hussainsagar have been laken as a pilot project by HMDA to treat approximately 150 MLD of sewage.
According to HMWS&SB officials, eight STPs with a capacity of 402.5 MLD are proposed to be taken up at an estimated cost of Rs 1,230.21 crore, including operation and maintenance (O&M) for 15 years as Package 1. Six STPs of 480.5 MLD costing Rs 1,355.13 crore, including O&M for 15 years, will be under Package 2. 17 STPs of 376.5 MLD capacity are proposed to be built at a cost of Rs 1,280.87 crore including O&M for 15 years as Package 3.
The board has already received approval from the government for construction of the 17 STPs under the Hussainsagar Lake catchment. Tenders had been invited in September 2020 for the purpose for completion within a period of two years.
A senior Sewerage Board official said these 17 STPs will be taken up immediately. The process for completing the remaining STPs in two packages will also be expedited. However, he said, it all depends on state government making funds available.
The National Green Tribunal had earlier this week criticised state government for its “sorry state of affairs”.
It charged nodal agencies with “not discharging their basic obligation” in following a 47-year-old law – Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 – but allowing untreated waste to flow into water bodies.
The NGT in its report said, “It is clear that untreated waste is being discharged into water bodies, which is a crime. This sorry state of affairs, where the state is not discharging its basic obligations, needs to be remedied on war footing," the NGT remarked....