Odisha Floods Hit 1,381 Villages; Majhi Announces Rs 1,000-Crore Relief Package
The floods have affected 74 blocks and 1,381 villages, with Jajpur and Bhadrak emerging as the worst-hit districts.

Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi on Tuesday announced a Rs 1,000-crore assistance package to help flood-affected families rebuild their livelihoods, even as the flood crisis deepened, with nearly 9.4 lakh people in six districts bearing the impact of inundation.
The floods have affected 74 blocks and 1,381 villages, with Jajpur and Bhadrak emerging as the worst-hit districts. The government has stepped up evacuation and rescue operations while continuing the supply of cooked and dry food in areas cut off by floodwaters.
Jajpur has reported flooding in 10 blocks and 270 villages, affecting around 2.8 lakh people. Nearly 77,700 people have been evacuated and 203 relief centres opened. In neighbouring Bhadrak, four blocks and 149 villages have been affected, impacting about 2.59 lakh people. More than one lakh people have been moved to safer locations, with 90 relief centres operating.
Balasore, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj and Kendrapara have also reported flood-related disruption.
Reviewing the situation at Lok Seva Bhawan, Mr Majhi said the government’s immediate priority was to ensure that there were no further casualties. He said more than 100 cases of venomous snakebite had been reported during the floods, but no deaths had occurred, which he attributed to preparedness and prompt emergency response.
Under the relief package, farmers suffering crop losses of 33 per cent or more will receive input assistance. The government will also provide support for paddy and non-paddy seeds and vegetable mini-kits to help farmers resume cultivation. Assistance has been announced for damaged livestock, ponds, boats and fishing nets.
Artisans whose livelihoods have been disrupted will receive Rs 5,000 for purchasing handloom equipment. Aid will also cover damaged household utensils, clothing and stored rice.
The government has deployed 45 Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) and eight National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams across the affected districts, besides fire service personnel.
The Chief Minister said Rs 136 crore had already been released in two phases through the State Relief Commissioner for immediate relief. Further compensation will be disbursed after detailed damage assessments are completed.

