India: 217 Joined Russian Army, 49 Dead
217 Indians reportedly joined the Russia-Ukraine war; 23 are still untraced

New Delhi: The Centre on Friday informed the Supreme Court that 217 Indian nationals had reportedly joined the Russian armed forces during the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict, of whom 49 have died.
In a status report, the Centre said 139 Indians had been released from contracts with the Russian Army following diplomatic engagement with the Russian Federation.
“Further, 49 Indian nationals are reported to have lost their lives in the conflict. Additionally, 6 Indian nationals have been confirmed missing by the Russian side, whereas the status of 23 individuals remains unknown and continues to be under active follow-up by the Embassy of India in Moscow with the Russian authorities,” the report said.
The report was filed in response to a plea seeking directions to facilitate the safe repatriation of 26 Indian nationals allegedly detained in Russia and forced to fight in the war.
“It is submitted that as per the latest information available with the Ministry of External Affairs, approximately 217 Indian nationals had reportedly joined the Russian armed forces,” it said.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, and comprising Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M Pancholi, was hearing the matter.
Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati referred to the status report.
The Centre said DNA samples of immediate family members of 21 individuals had been collected and shared with Russian authorities to help trace missing persons and identify mortal remains.
It said all cases were being pursued on priority and under continuous follow-up, with families being kept informed of developments.
Of the 26 individuals referred to in the plea, 14 cases relate to reported deaths, while 11 have been notified by Russian authorities as “missing in action” or not in contact with their families.
One case pertains to imprisonment for eight years on molestation charges.

