218 girls fall sick due to food contamination

Vijayawada: Some 218 girls of Class VI to Intermediate fell sick due to food contamination at the Dr BR Ambedkar Residential School-cum-Hostel at Ramakrishnapuram village of Sattenapalli mandal in Palnadu district on Monday.

According to Palnadu DMHO, Sobha Rani, there were 620 girls in the school. Of these, 138 girls developed stomach pain, fever, loose motions and vomiting from the morning and they were rushed to the area hospital at Sattenapalli. Of them, 60 girls were given treatment and discharged from the hospital while 50 girls were being put under continued treatment.

She said a health camp was set up near the school and 80 girls were tested and given medical treatment. The girls showing mild symptoms were recovering and those who recovered were discharged from hospital.

She said that the students had been served chicken, gongura curry and biryani in the hostel on Sunday and they were suspecting food contamination. Samples of the food and water were collected for analysis at the lab.

Meanwhile, a five member committee has been appointed to do an inquiry in the hostel. District collector Sivasankar inspected the hostel and inquired about the health condition of the girls.

He announced a holiday to the school on Tuesday.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story