Hyderabad: Six dogs die in kennel fire

High intensity light to keep canines warm cause of blaze.

Hyderabad: Six dogs, three of them puppies, died in a fire that broke out in a kennel on Wednesday. Five other dogs were injured. Malkajgiri police have booked a case against the kennel owner Pavan Kumar Yadav.

According to the Malkajgiri police, they received information of the fire at around 10 pm on Wednesday and rushed to the kennel. They managed to rescue five dogs. Two had 60 per cent burns and severe injuries.

Pavan Kumar Yadav, 43, has been running the kennel for superior breeds such as German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Labradors, and pugs.

A high-intensity light had been installed inside the kennel to create a warm atmosphere for the puppies and according to sub-inspector L. Ramesh, the heat of the light melted bottles of in sect repellent that were stocked in the kennel and they burst.

“There were many spray bottles in the room which also exploded due to the fire. The fire extended to the sofa in the room and to a gas cylinder, which exploded. Six German Shepherds, including three puppies, died in the fire and another five dogs were injured, the police officer said.

The Malkajgiri police have booked a case under Indian Penal Code Sections 336 (Act endangering life or
personal safety of others), 285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter), 289 (negligent conduct with respect to an animal) and Section 11 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960, and arrested kennel owner Pavan Kumar Yadav on Thursday evening.

Next Story