64th Day Of Lockdown

Maharashtra54758169541792 Tamil Nadu177289342128 Delhi152577264303 Gujarat148297139915 Rajasthan76804341172 Madhya Pradesh70243689305 Uttar Pradesh67243824177 West Bengal40091486283 Andhra Pradesh3117206558 Bihar300680014 Karnataka240576245 Punjab2106191840 Telangana1991128457 Jammu and Kashmir175983324 Odisha15937337 Haryana130582416 Kerala9645426 Assam683634 Jharkhand4261534 Uttarakhand400644 Chhatisgarh360790 Chandigarh2781874 Tripura2321650 Himachal Pradesh223634 Goa67280 Puducherry49170 Manipur3940 Meghalaya20121 Nagaland900 Arunachal Pradesh210 Mizoram110 Sikkim100
Nation Other News 30 Mar 2020 62-year-old man, a c ...

62-year-old man, a contact of Covid-19 positive case, dies in Nizamabad, Telangana

Published Mar 30, 2020, 11:37 pm IST
Updated Mar 30, 2020, 11:37 pm IST
One of the 30 people who were contacts of the confirmed Covid-19 case, he suffered a heart attack while being shifted to Hyderabad
A member of the Disaster Response Force of Telangana sprays disinfectant on a street in Hyderabad. (AFP)
 A member of the Disaster Response Force of Telangana sprays disinfectant on a street in Hyderabad. (AFP)

Nizamabad: A 62-year-old man, suspected to have been infected by the Covid-19 virus, died at the Government General Hospital (GGH) in Nizamabad, Telangana, late Sunday night even as hospital staff were shifting him to Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad.

The dead man’s family reportedly attacked hospital staff, accusing them of medical negligence. Doctors said the victim had died after suffering a heart attack.


The deceased person was one of the 30 people who came in contact with a 63-year-old man from Quilla Crossroads locality of Nizamabad who tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from a religious programme in Delhi. He is currently in quarantine at Gandhi Hospital at Hyderabad.

All the persons who had had contact with this Covid-positive patient were placed in an isolation ward at GGH Nizamabad.

Doctors said the Covid suspect who died on Sunday was being shifted to the Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad as his symptoms had turned severe.

Doctors said fear and stress might have caused the heart attack. A post-mortem report is awaited.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, GGH Nizamabad superintendent Dr M. Nageshwar Rao said the coronavirus suspect died due to a cardiac arrest as he was suffering with high blood pressure and diabetes. “Due to his age and health problem, we tried to shift him to Gandhi Hospital but he collapsed,” he explained.

Dr Nageshwar Rao said shocked family members questioned the doctors about the man’s death, and denied reports that hospital staff were attacked. All coronavirus suspects are being shifted to the isolation ward, he said.

The 11 persons who came in contact with the body of the deceased Covid-19 suspect have been shifted to the GGH isolation ward too. Blood samples taken from the deceased man were sent to Hyderabad for tests.

Location: India, Telangana, Kamareddy