Thiruvananthapuram: The major fire at a motorcycle workshop in Neyyattinkara two days ago has brought into sharp focus the lack of fire safety system in such establishments.
It took more than two hours for the firemen to extinguish the fire. But by then the raging fire had caused extensive destruction. "There is not enough fire safety equipment installed in such establishments. Being fire-prone areas, such places need to have fire fighting mechanism," said R Prasad, Director (Technical) Kerala Fire and Rescue Services.
Regional Fire Officer, Arun Alphonse, said the most common incidents of fire in workshops were due to the sparks flying from welding. Besides short circuit, electrical work related to vehicles was also responsible for the fire incidents.
The fire and rescue service officials say priority needs to be given for providing proper training to staff working in such workshops. Use of fire extinguishers, fire buckets and sand bags could also help bring down the risk of fire incidents. Moreover the locals can also be imparted basic training on fire safety to prevent major disasters.
The Neyyattinkara incident clearly calls for intensifying inspections in such establishments for putting in place measures for fire deterrence. Awareness classes can be organised for the staff working in these establishments to quip them for meeting any situation....