BENGALURU: A birthday bash went horribly wrong for three friends, two of whom died, while the other is battling for life, after they allegedly took an overdose of prescription drugs along with alcohol.
The deceased, Abhilash (23) and Gopi (32), were residents of Kodandaramapura near Vyalikaval. The police said that they were jobless and were addicted to a Tydol, a painkiller that is addictive.
At a birthday party on Sunday night, the two deceased and their friend celebrated by consuming alcohol and also a few crushed tablets of Tydol. On Monday, Abhilash complained of a severe stomachache, while Gopi developed a high fever. They were taken to different hospitals where they underwent treatment but died on Tuesday evening.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the three friends had consumed Tydol tablets along with alcohol. The police are waiting for the post-mortem reports of the two to ascertain the exact cause of death.
Medicine experts said that consumption of alcohol with this analgesic is not recommended and the tablets should be consumed under the supervision of a doctor.
A senior police officer said that they are waiting for the friend of the deceased, who too allegedly consumed alcohol and the painkiller, to recover to take his statement. “We will get more clarity once we have the statement from the friend of the deceased who is not in a position to talk. We so far suspect that the duo died of drug overdose and a suspected chemical reaction of the drug with alcohol. A chemical analysis test can further elaborate on it," he said.
Several cases of health complication have been reported with misuse of such analgesic tablets. Youth are addicted the most to such drugs, an expert said.
The Vyalikaval police have registered a case and are investigating....