Immediately, Shoaib's family members rushed him to a private polyclinic in Yakutpura. After examining Shoaib, the doctor said that he fell seriously ill due to food poisoning. DC File Image
Hyderabad: MS Mandi & Shawarma restaurant in Purani Haveli was temporarily shut down by the GHMC after 19 people who consumed chicken at the eatery fell ill and had to be admitted to a Nallakunta hospital.
The action came after one of the victims, Sheik Shoeb, 24, filed a complaint with the police.
In his complaint, Shoeb said he and a friend, Arbaz Khan, both residents of Yakutpura, had ordered the ‘chicken mandi’ dish on November 16, following which he suffered severe stomach ache coupled with nausea the next day. He was admitted to a private hospital and diagnosed with food poisoning.
R. Ravinder, inspector of Mir Chowk Police Station, where the complaint was lodged, said: "We are getting several complaints about food poisoning and we are taking appropriate action, in coordination with the GHMC’s food safety wing."
GHMC officials said they inspected the eatery based on the police complaint.
"We have sent seven food samples to the State Food Laboratory in Nacharam, which include the ‘chicken mandi’ and ‘eggless mayonnaise’ dishes. Further action will be taken based on the reports," said Shiraaz, GHMC’s food safety officer for the Falaknuma circle.
Another GHMC official, who visited the eatery, said the fridge and a portion of the kitchen were found to be unhygienic. "The chicken used in ‘mandi’ was not stale, but we found the fridge and a portion of the kitchen in an unhygienic condition," the GHMC official said.
Following the inspection, officials instructed the management of the commercial establishment to shut shop and reopen only after fixing the issues pointed out.