THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A fire caused panic and gutted items worth Rs 7 lakh at a footwear warehouse at Peroorkada on Thursday afternoon. The traffic on the stretch was disrupted until around 2.15pm as anxious crowds gathered the upmarket area. As per the fire and rescue officials, the shed on the terrace of the third floor of My Dear Footwear at Peroorkada caught fire due to suspected case of short circuit.
The Chenkalochoola Fire Station received the distress call at 12.41pm and three units from the station reached the spot within 15 minutes. However the congested concrete buildings around affected the access to temporary shed. “The stairs to the third floor was narrow. The walls and roof were made of tin sheets and began bursting as the leather inside caught fire,” fire and rescue officials said.