Medical officer B Sridhar said all the students were safe. He said the water used for cooking was also likely contaminated. (Representational DC image)
Kothagudem: Nearly 40 students of the Government Residential Girls School at Padamata Narasapuram in Julurpad mandal fell ill after taking food that was not cooked properly.
About 29 girls complained of stomach ache, vomiting and motions on Monday night. The school staff took them to the PHC in Julurpad. Even as they were under treatment, another 11 were brought to the PHC with the same complaint.
P. Nandita, of Class VIII, said she consumed rice that was not boiled well. "We faced an unbearable stomach ache followed by vomiting," she said, Madhu Sri, another student, said, "I had loose motion in the morning and we are fine after taking the medicines."
Medical officer B Sridhar said all the students were safe. He said the water used for cooking was also likely contaminated.
District officials including assistant tribal officer Rupa Devi, Julurpad mandal tahsildar Wilson and sub-inspector Ganesh visited the PHC. N. Subhadra, headmaster, said, "The new staff did not cook the food properly. We asked them for an explanation."