Nation Other News 12 Jul 2018 Chennai: LPG cylinde ...

Chennai: LPG cylinder leak causes fire, 1 killed

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Jul 12, 2018, 6:02 am IST
Updated Jul 12, 2018, 6:02 am IST
The victims were sent to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, where Rekha succumbed to burns at around 12.30 pm.
Fire and rescue personnel from Guindy fire station rushed to the spot to douse the fire.
 Fire and rescue personnel from Guindy fire station rushed to the spot to douse the fire.

Chennai: A 28-year-old woman died after LPG cylinder leakage caused a fire in her house on Wednesday  morning. Her five-year-old son, mother-in-law and father-in-law suffered burns while trying to save her, according to the police.

The deceased was identified as Rekha (28) of Matthews Nagar in St Thomas Mount. “Early on Wednesday morning, Rekha went to the kitchen and switched on the light without noticing the LPG leakage. This led to the fire,” police said.

 

Police added that the fire spread out to Rekha and hearing her scream, her father-in-law Kumar (58), who is an auto driver, mother-in-law Alamelu (54) and her son Roshan (5) rushed to help her. While trying to save Rekha, Kumar, Alamelu and Roshan suffered severe injuries. Meanwhile, a few neighbours rushed into the house and doused the fire.

The victims were sent to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, where Rekha succumbed to burns at around 12.30 pm. Rekha’s husband Ganesh (35), a private company employee, and her toddler son escaped the fire as they were sleeping in another room.

 

Fire and rescue personnel from Guindy fire station rushed to the spot to douse the fire. “Ganesh did not come to rescue his wife and parents until the neighbours entered the house. Though Ganesh suffered a mild burn injury on his hand, he claimed that he did not hear them scream,” police said.

St Thomas Mount police have registered a case and suspect foul play in the case.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT