Nation Other News 10 May 2016 Gurgaon: 3-year-old& ...

Gurgaon: 3-year-old’s thumb severed at daycare, mother alleges negligence

Published May 10, 2016, 1:32 pm IST
Updated May 10, 2016, 2:31 pm IST
The mother has filed a police complaint against the daycare owners and wants them to be brought to task.
Three-year-old Myra lies in a hospital bed after her thumb was amputated. (Photo: Facebook)
 Three-year-old Myra lies in a hospital bed after her thumb was amputated. (Photo: Facebook)

Gurgaon: A three-year-old girl’s thumb had to be amputated after it was crushed in a mishap that took place at a daycare centre Gurgaon, according to her mother who has written a moving Facebook post accusing the daycare of gross negligence.

According to Shivani Sharma, the incident took place on April 28 after she had dropped her daughter Myra at the daycare named “Cherub Angel” at 12.30 pm. She received a call from the centre barely half-an-hour later from a teacher about an ‘emergency’. She was informed the Myra has hit her thumb and was taken to a hospital.


But when Shivani Sharma reached the hospital, she was told that Myra's thumb had been amputated.

“Her top half part of the thumb has been crushed and cut apart. I was told that another kid Kartik pushed door close and her finger came inside. Can you believe the situation when my 3yrs old is in front of my eyes bleeding. The resident plastic surgeon told me that nothing can be done to broken thumb but only a surgery to close the cut. Which means for her whole life she will never have a full thumb nor any nail, instead she will have a round cut finger,” she wrote in her Facebook post that has received over ten thousand shares.

Shivani with her daughter Myra when she was just a baby. (Photo: Facebook)Shivani with her daughter Myra when she was just a baby. (Photo: Facebook)

She had to rush to several doctors to get second opinions and went through the terrifying ordeal all by herself as her husband was out of the country. On the day of the incident, Shivani had barely any time to process the role of the daycare in what was happening, but she claims their ‘real face’ of the daycare owners was revealed to her a day after the incident.

Shivani said that the daycare was run by a lady called Archana and that her husband Prashant came to her house on May 1 to apologise for what had happened. He allegedly admitted that it was their mistake and promised to bear the cost of Myra’s treatments.

But the couple did not make good on their promise and soon stopped picking up Shivani’s calls.

“When I asked Archana to come to Medanta (hospital) to pay for her second surgery she started making all excuses like she has her school to take care of, have to pick and drop other kids,” Shivani said in her post.

According to Shivani, they even challenged her to go to the police and completely washed their hands off the incident.

Shivani later filed a police complaint at a Gurgaon station and is fighting to get justice and bring to task the daycare owners for their negligence. She wrote the post on Facebook to warn other parents about what happened to her.

Location: India, Haryana, Gurgaon