Hyderabad: Two kids were injured seriously and 10 others of a family suffered minor injuries in a fire at Talabkatta in the wee hours of Saturday. Police said the mishap which gutted the house could have occurred due to a short circuit.
Neighbours entered the house with the help of the police by breaking the asbestos sheet roof and rescued the residents. Around 12 people were sleeping in the house at the time of the incident. A bike parked outside was burnt and a she goat tied outside the house also died.
Bhavaninagar inspector B. Srinivasa Rao said the house on road #2A at Salam Chowk in Talabkatta, belonged to 65-year-old Mohammed Shaikh Sayeed Sahab. He and his two sons Shaikh Farooq and Shaikh Mahboob and their families were staying in the house. Police said around 16 persons including eight kids were in the house.
On Saturday at around 5.15 am fire broke out in the house. Sayeed, who saw the fire, rushed out. By the time neighbours and police arrived, the house was engulfed in fire. “Some neighbours and cops broke the asbestos roof and rescued the residents,” Mr Srinivasa Rao said.
By then, two fire tenders from Moghalpura and Malakpet rushed to the spot. The rescued persons were shifted to Osmania Hospital. The injured suffered suffocation due to the smoke but were not burnt.
Of the 12 injured 12-year-old Sk Muzambil and five-and-a-half year-old Saba, both grandchildren of Sayeed, were shifted to Niloufer hospital and their condition is said to be critical.
Two of the children still fighting for their lives
Two-year-old Noor and 12-year-old Muzamil are critical after they were injured in a fire at their home in Bhawaninagar in the wee hours of Saturday. “Eight children are admitted in hospitals of which three are boys. Two of them are in a critical condition and we can comment on their condition only after 48 hours,” said Dr Lalu Prasad, senior paediatrician at Nilofeur Hospital.
The remaining children aged between four and 10 years are recuperating in separate wards. These children suffered mild burns but are stable and are recovering fast....