Rajahmundry: A four-year-old boy died at Eluru in West Godavari, on Wednesday, by choking on a rubber toy included in a packet of chips.
According to the police, Meesala Nireekshana Kumar went to a local shop along with his mother Durga to purchase some milk, where she bought him a packet of tomato-flavoured chips manufactured by the Diamond Company. Upon their return home, the boy opened the packet, which contained a free toy within it, and began consuming its contents, while the rest of his family was otherwise occupied.
Assuming that the toy was also edible, the boy swallowed it and it ended up getting stuck in his throat. Soon, the boy began feeling breathless and began suffering from convulsions. He then started frothing from the mouth and fell unconscious. When his parents saw him on the ground, they rushed to his aid and tried to pull the toy out of his throat, but in vain.
The boy was shifted to a government hospital where he breathed his last while undergoing treatment.
A case has been registered under Section 174 of the CrPC based on a complaint filed by the victim’s father Lakshmana Rao, and an investigation is underway.