Mumbai: Pratik Thakur (28) and seven others, including his wife Toral (29) and her two brothers, were dining at Mojo’s Bistro early on Friday when the sight of leaping flames startled him.
Mr Thakur said he had jumped over tables at the eatery to reach the fire exit at the adjacent restaurant, 1 Above.
After coming out and realising that his wife was missing, Mr Thakur went back inside — a process during which he sustained 20 per cent burns on his right hand — only to find out that his wife had already escaped via the main gate.
Mr Thakur, who has been admitted to the trust-run Bhatia Hospital, said, “There were fumes all around, and within a short span of time the whole floor was engulfed in flames. I somehow managed to step out of the hall.”
He added, “After coming out I realised my wife was not to be seen. So I went back inside to find my brother-in-law. We both made our way out to learn that my wife had already escaped.”
Siddharth Shroff, another survivor, who had a narrow escape and injured his shoulder, said it the coal used for the hookah was to blame for the incident. Recounting his ordeal, he said, “While running from the spot, the tarpaulin-and-bamboo structure fell on me, causing me to suffer almost 35 per cent burns....