Kochi Corporation seeks Rs 90 crore additional funds

To submit more projects to govt.

KOCHI: The Kochi Corporation will submit projects worth more than Rs. 90 crore to the state government for Additional Plan Assistance (APA) under which the government will be providing Rs 500 crore to municipalities and corporations for various projects. In order to get financial assistance under APA, civic bodies have to submit detailed project reports of schemes in the 11 sectors specified before March 31.

Funds will be given on a ‘first come – first serve’ basis. Of the total project cost, the state government’s share will be 70 per cent while the civic body has to chip in the remaining 30 per cent. A meeting of the Corporation council held on Tuesday decided to submit DPRs in drainage, crematorium, modern slaughterhouse, public toilets and wayside rest rooms, non conventional energy sources, next phase of Animal Birth Control programme and waste management.

A meeting of the development standing committee held on March 21 finalised the projects. Addressing the council meeting, Mayor Soumini Jain said that the civic body could get APA funds only if feasible and well prepared DPRs were submitted.

“A workshop on APA was organised on March 8 for civic bodies during which it was instructed that DPRs should be submitted. With not much time for preparing fresh DPRs, it was decided to submit those projects for which DPRs have already been made,” she said. Ms. Jain added that slight modifications would be made in the DPRs, incorporating suggestions proposed by councillors.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story