Inaction serious lapse, says DGP T P Senkumar

Officials present at the spot to be sent to one year rigorous training at Kerala Police Academy.

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The state police which took the slapping of former diplomat T.P. Sreenivasan by an SFI activist seriously and ordered an inquiry into the incident has come out with a report that there were serious lapses on the part of the policemen on the scene and recommended one year intensive training and disciplinary action to four police personnel, including a sub-inspector.

The police, however, is yet to arrest the SFI activist who attacked Mr Sreenivasan, who is also vice-chairman of the Kerala State Higher Education Council.

State police chief T P Senkumar, who ordered a probe by the IG Thiruvananthapuram-range Manoj Abraham into the incident, told DC that the failure of the cops on the spot in nabbing the culprit was a serious lapse.

 Sreenivasan being attacked by SFI activists with police watching in background. (Photo: DC)Sreenivasan being attacked by SFI activists with police watching in background. (Photo: DC)

“All angles are being probed, including whether there was any deliberate inaction on the part of the cops,” he said.

Mr Senkumar said that all the police officials who were present at the spot would be sent for rigorous training at the Kerala Police Academy.

Mr Abraham recommended one year rigorous training and disciplinary
action to Vizhinjam sub-inspector Sreekumaran Nair and three police constables who were on the spot.

SFI district joint secretary Sarath, who slapped Mr Sreenivasan, absconded from the spot where over 150 cops were present.

A police official who was on duty at the spot attributed the attack to a prior grudge that the SFI had with Mr. Sreenivasan.

Sreenivasan after the attack (Photo: DC)Sreenivasan after the attack (Photo: DC)

“Some of the activists were heard saying that it was Sreenivasan at first and subsequently it was the SFI activists who started attacking him. Moreover, many delegates were not blocked by the activists,” said the official.

Admitting the lapse in nabbing the accused immediately, the police official said the accused managed to conceal himself among the hundreds of activists. Moreover there were only a few cops at that spot.

Though about 150-odd cops were posted at the meet venue, most of them were deployed on the other side of the mob to form a barricade to prevent activists from barging into the venue, the official said.

City police commissioner Mr Sparjan Kumar said that efforts were on to nab Sarath. He also said the cops on the spot failed to notice Mr. Sreenivasan’s arrival and hence sufficient protection could not be given. “We are considering it as a serious lapse and necessary action will be taken,” he said.

( Source : deccan chronicle )
Next Story